Looking for something? Search this blog:

Friday, December 16, 2016

Noel Angel: A Stamped Study in Silver & Gold

Seasons' Greetings, arty friends! Today I have a Christmassy piece of art featured over at the Lost Coasters Review blog as part of Lost Coast Designs’ “It’s Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas” rubber stamp art contest. Just enter your holiday-themed art featuring rubber stamps from any company, and you’ll be entered to win a gift certificate for MOAR STAMPS from the incredible catalog of Lost Coast Designs rubber! I am a fan!

So...on to the project and How To Mayke It.  ✨

I love the medieval/Victorian Gothic vibe of these Lost Coast Designs stamps so much that I had to combine them, with metallic silver and gold, for some holiday glitz and a bit of historical feel! Here's the piece:



↑  This is actually a scan of the piece, which doesn't capture the depth and sheen of all the metallics very well, so here's a photo taken in different light too, so you can get more of a feel for how the piece looks in person, when you move it in the light.  ↓




Here's how I made it.

First I took some acid-free scrapbook paper that was printed with a sort of linen fabric-looking pattern, then brayered on some thin layers of silver and gold acrylic paint diluted with iridescent medium. This gave a rich-looking shimmer to the background. (You guys know, if you read my blog at all, that I love me some shimmer on almost every piece! Right? You KNEW that.)

Next, I got out this awesome angel from the Fortune Women set, inked it up with black permanent ink, stamped it...


  
...and then cut out a mask of the figure. I placed the mask over the stamped image using repositionable glue, and got out this fab arch from the ATC Misc. Set 6...and stamped right over the masked image.



Next, I retrieved some (slightly used) washi tape from under the table where I’d stuck it (don’t judge me) and masked off the area below the gothic arch where I wanted to stamp this Clover Scroll border, which I love SO BAD:



Here's what those impromptu masks looked like before stamping. I threw in this photo just because some people do find weird pix like this to be helpful, and I’m a helpy kind of girl. 


But enough about me. So after adding the scroll border, I pulled out my trusty Rustic Alphabet Set with its strong period feel, composed the word NOEL, and stamped that once in my permanent black ink. Then I overstamped the word with embossing ink, offsetting it just a TEENY bit to provide a hint of shadow, and embossed it in gold powder.

Now it was time to add silver and gold gel-pen accents to the angel, border, and arch. And the piece was finished...



...Except for putting it in a frame, like so.  ðŸ˜Š  


Et voila!--a shimmery angel in gold and silver. Wishing you and your family a very happy (and shimmery) Noel!




No comments:

Post a Comment